Description of Project:
This Technical Assistance Facility contributes to achieving HMG’s National Security Council objectives for North Africa of ‘Stability, security, and prosperity’. The Technical Assistance Facility is one of three strands of the North Africa Good Governance Fund, along with
(i) country programmes managed in each of the five countries and (ii) a Regional Fund managed by the North Africa Joint Unit in Whitehall. The North Africa Good Governance Fund is overseen by a cross-HMG North Africa Strategic Steering Board. The Technical Assistance Facility will both complement and learn from the experience of previous HMG programmes in the region and elsewhere as well as ongoing country programming and the Regional Fund. The Facility will contribute lessons learned and evidence for future programming.
The Technical Assistance Facility provides specialized, timely, demand-driven support, responding to the assessed needs of governments and other national and regional institutions, as appropriate, for technical assistance, in line with HMG priorities for these countries. The TAF is designed, delivered and monitored in a way that ensures it is conflict sensitive and can respond flexibly and adapt to changing contexts and opportunities. An adaptive TAF will allow the UK to respond to North African countries’ and societies needs and priorities as they emerge and as appropriate within a clear strategic framework, learn from what is working and what is not working and make adjustments as necessary.
Description of actual services provided:
The supplier may be required to provide some or all of the following services:
- scoping, design and review of projects;
- training, coaching and mentoring of partners;
- supporting partners in the design and implementation of reforms;
- assessments, political economy analyses, evidence reviews etc.;
- knowledge exchange through experience-gaining visits, twinning arrangements and/or attachments into UK partner organizations;
- operational management (including contracting and deployment of experts; management of small grants; coordination and workshop hosting);
- monitoring and evaluation expertise and support (including capacity building; quality assuring results frameworks and/or Theories of Change; designing, managing and/or delivering independent evaluations).
The Supplier may be required to provide other forms of support as deemed appropriate.
The Education and Employability sectors have been selected as key sectors, particularly in Morocco and Algeria. A first sector fact-finding and mapping mission was launched in Morocco and Algeria to carry out an analysis of the education in relation with employability sector and submit recommendations for future activities to an improvement of this relation.